A pasta bake is a dish that uses minimum effort but gives a big reward.
I mean, come on, look at that?!
Often pasta bakes are largely smothered in cheese and not as healthy as we’d all like them to be.
Well not today.
No one will stop me from eating whatever I want, I will find a way of enjoying every fat-filled dish in a low fat form.
So a good pasta bake sauce is obviously required for a pasta bake – if you feel confident making your own then go for it! But I have only recently become aqainted to the pasta bake, so I have used pre-made sauces. Low fat only though! These jars serve four, but I use them to serve six. As far as I’ve noticed, it doesn’t make the bake dry so it makes more sense than buying two jars and being tempted to use all of the contents.
Smokey bacon and chicken pasta bake
500g dried pasta of your choice – cooked
Pasta bake sauce (home pride or dolmio is good – I’ve used dolmio tomato and cheese)
12 smokey bacon streaky rashers (the ones I used had 2.5g saturated fat per 2 rashers)
225g chicken breast fillet (it’s not a lot but there’s plenty of bacon to add meat)
100g bread crumbs
Parmesan to finish
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Ensure that the 500g of dried pasta is cooked.
3. Chop chicken and bacon into small pieces, just under an inch long.
4. Fry the chicken in a pan with a little oil for 5-10 minutes, until browned. Add the bacon to the pan and fry until the bacon looks cooked (about 5 further minutes) with the chicken.
5. Add the pasta and pasta bake sauce to the meat and stir until there is an even distribution of meat throughout the pasta.
6. Pour contents into an oven proof dish. Flatten for an even surface and evenly spread the breadcrumbs on the surface.
7. Cook in the oven for 25-35 minutes – until bread crumbs have gone golden.
8. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
With 2.5g saturated fat from the bacon, less than a gram from the sauce, 0.7g (roughly) from the chicken, and a very small amount from the pasta and breadcrumbs – you’re looking at a total of around 5g saturated fat per serving in this dish. Much less than your typical pasta bake.